Sunday, January 24, 2010

January block - Design challenge

I set a design challenge for a quilt group in that we all have to make a basic foundation piecing tree block per month with a blank fabric to the side of the tree. On this we must then appliqué a picture of


a) What this month resembles to us OR

b) What kept us busy during this month OR

c) What was foremost in our minds during this particular month?

Having my youngest finishing school at the end of last year, starting her tertiary studies this year and January traditionally being the beginning of the new school year for South Africans I decided on a stack of books.

I found the picture in a clip art computer programme appliquéd the coloured shapes using appliqué paper and did the black with satin stitches. My apple could have been a little brighter but I always try to use from my scrap stash for appliqué and this was the most suitable in reddish for an apple.

Block done:  22 January 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment